The Westport Community Volunteer Fire Department is located on Bennett Street right in the heart of downtown Westport, Indiana. Our mailing address is P.O. Box 119, Westport, Indiana 47283-0119.
Board of Directors:
Jay Maddux - Chief
John Gant - President
Mike Gasper - Asst. Chief /Treasurer
Mark Taylor - Asst. Chief / Secretary
Your Volunteer Firemen answered 282 calls in 2013. 48 were for fires, 202 assisting Emergency Medical Services, and 32 hazard investigations for gas, smoke or carbon monoxide alarms. Your volunteers are to be congratulated for their quick and efficient response to these alarms. Our operating expenses for 2013 was $101,519. This covers expenses of utilities, insurance on firefighters and equipment, building and truck maintenance, upgrading and replacement of obsolete equipment and a mortgage payments of $72,818. We also had a mjor cost for the compressor used in filling air packs used by the firemen and the replacement of our large diameter fire hose. Our current mortgage balance is $196,099.
Firefighter duties include:
Essential Functions are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills. They are intended to be accurate summaries of what the job classification involves and what is required to perform it. Employees are responsible for all other duties as assigned.
* Responds to fire alarms and extinguishes fire;
- * Responds to calls for emergency medical services, and renders first aid;
- * Responds to and renders assistance in emergency cases;
- * Cleans and inspects equipment and apparatus after returning from a fire;
- * Inspects equipment and apparatus and notifies superior officer of any defects;
- * Makes minor repairs to equipment and apparatus, performs routine preventative maintenance tasks, and keeps records of such action;
- * Keeps fire station, equipment and grounds in a clean and orderly condition;
- * Participates in training activities and instruction sessions;
- * Acquires and retains a thorough knowledge of the Town, including streets, buildings, water supply, unusual hazards and related items;
- * Performs various public information or education tasks;
- * Enters inspection, training and (on occasion) fire and emergency medical service calls into the records management systems;
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
* May respond to emergency calls for specialized service such as hazardous materials, confined spaces rescue, extrication and technical rescues that include high angle, below grade, swift water, trench and collapse rescues;
- * May respond to non-emergency calls for infant car seat installations, africanized bee complaints, fire prevention demos, etc.;
- * Deals with social service related areas of emergency response by assisting victims and relatives of victims of traumatic events.